Walk Across Texas! Youth
Walk Across Texas! Youth is a FREE, 8-week walking challenge designed to help our youngest Texans be more active and establish the habit of regular physical activity. There is an unlimited number of participants per team. In 2021, more than 27,000 Texas youth participated in the program.
How Does it Work?
- Form or join a Youth league at your school or with your group.
- Then, form teams inside of your league. Youth teams can contain an unlimited number of members. Team members are encouraged to work together towards the goal of virtually walking across Texas.
- Each team member’s favorite physical activities are logged as ‘miles walked’ in our online challenge tracker and contribute toward the team’s mileage total.
Year-round participation is encouraged using locally sponsored program activities, as well as with leadership provided by Texas A&M AgriLife Extension employees.
Need Lesson Plans?
View our Youth resources page to view and download lesson plans to use with the Walk Across Texas! Youth program at your school.
2021 Walk Across Texas! Youth Program Results
Selected Participant Comments
“Texas A&M AgriLife Extension is an essential partner in our work to help schools be healthy learning environments. Agents have provided much needed cooking and nutrition classes and educational materials, and their programs like Walk Across Texas give schools free resources to support physical activity in a fun way. Thank you AgriLife!”
– Michelle Smith, Action for Healthy Kids – Texas State Coordinator
“I really liked the Walk Across Texas! Math activities. Easy to incorporate to get kids up and active again. Already have WAT! Math lessons incorporated into next year’s lessons.”
– Teacher implementing WAT! Youth
“I believe that WAT! brought our family closer because we were exercising together and spending more time outdoors instead of watching TV or playing video games.”
– Parent of WAT! Youth participant