Balancing Food & Play
The Balancing Food & Play curriculum was designed to improve knowledge and behaviors related to the following four educational constructs:
- Snacking on fruits and vegetables
- Drinking milk with meals and water with snacks
- Encouraging 60 minutes of physical activity each day
- Limiting screen time to two hours or less per day.
About the Curriculum
The curriculum contains four elements. There are 20 lesson plans that include:
- Bell ringer activities
- Independent and guided practices
- Exit ticket day reflectors
- Lesson plans written for 45 minutes to 1 hour class times
- Lessons designed to incorporate higher-level thinking and learning skills – i.e., opportunities to design games, commercials, menus, and use technology
- Complete weekly lesson plans with current TEKS incorporated
There are also 8 take-home reading assignments, four parent letters, and a 41-page journal for each student.
The second edition of the Balancing Food & Play curriculum incorporates the Food Guidance System called MyPlate. The MyPlate icon serves as a reminder for healthy eating and illustrates the five food groups.